Friday, January 13, 2012

The Rest of Mexico City

Home, home, from San Miguel.  Tim's a vegetarian and is already tired of fighting meat in Mexico, so he cooks a lot.  We had stuffed peppers for dinner.  I'm going to make them later this week.
Tim had the next couple days off from work, so we decided to hop some buses out to Teotihuacán, aka the pyramids.  The bus he takes to work goes down Reforma to Indios Verdes, where we could catch another bus to the pyramids.  
We got to Indios Verdes and there are about 293 buses to choose from, going in all sorts of directions.  We asked multiple people, wandered through lots of markets, and finally found a bus going to the pyramids.  Via the highway (the fast route), said the driver, but he lied.  After paying 5 pesos for the first bus (and that's the expensive local bus), we balked at the 35 pesos for the bus to the pyramids.  A whopping $2.60.   Eventually, we got there.
This place was built in 100 AD by a yet unconfirmed civilization.


The Pyramid of the Sun is the third largest pyramid in the world (first two in Egypt), and of course we climbed it.  Try hiking that at altitude - good thing there are rest areas built in.

There's a nice little museum at the site.

I hope you don't have dreams about your teeth falling out tonight.

After a couple hours, we'd had enough and it was getting hot. There was a good restaurant nearby, but since the entrees started at $10, we decided to wait until we got back into the city to eat.  We are cheapskates now.  The police guy let us sit under his tent while we waited for the bus.  Which eventually stopped for a security check.  Tim and all the dudes had to get off the bus, and I got my bag searched.  And then more people boarded to sell us things for 10 pesos.  I really did almost buy the 3-part wallet plus calendar.  
The bus dropped us out at the Autobuses del Norte station, we grabbed some donuts, and walked to the metro station at the La Raza.  Next stop - Zocalo.

Star gazing in the metro station.
We jumped off the train at Hidalgo and walked towards Zocalo.
Finally - time for food in Alameda Central.
Tacos al pastor.  I only got a little bit sick later.  Worth it.

On to Bellas Artes

Torre Latinoamerica

People, people everywhere.  There's only 22+ million of them around.

There was a gorgeous art exhibit (free) in this building and they wouldn't allow photography anywhere.  I couldn't get any art, but I snuck a couple of the inside.  It was great.
We stopped for Yogurtland.

Finally, Zocalo!  The lovely, massive cathedral.  Construction started in the late 1500s, and a couple cathedrals have been built on top of one another.  They're starting to excavate.

The Palacio Nacional was about to close, and Tim has already been a zillion times, but I decided to leave my bag with him and run inside for a few to see the works of Diego Rivera.  We decided to meet back up in this crowd.

Twenty minutes later I came out a different door around the corner from where Tim and I decided to meet; thankfully he was nearby.  No way we would've found each other.  And he had my bag, cell phone, money, etc.
It's hard work being a tourist.  We went home at sunset on the rush hour subway (which was entertaining beyond words), made miso carrots and something else delicious and watched Midnight in Paris.  I need to go back to Paris.

On Wednesday it was time to tackle Turibus again.  People were back at work and it wasn't super crowded.  I got on board at 1pm, planning to transfer to the southern route that goes to Casa Azul, where Frida and Diego lived.  And then I could hang out in that neighborhood, etc.  I'd heard it would take 3.5 hours or so to make the full bus route.

I didn't get to Coyoacan and Frida Kahlo til 4:30.  I still had half of the southern route to finish and basically all of the central bus route.  There would be no getting off the bus, unless I wanted to get home at 10pm!  Which I didn't.  I just made lots of notes so I know where to go next time.

The famous Casa Azul. Which reminds me to put Frida in my Netflix queue.
Back on Reforma.

I finally had to leave the open air deck of the bus and get inside cause I started to freeze.
Back to Bellas Artes.

And Zocalo
Where this woman took her love of animal print to a new level.
A building I wanted to go into, if I had gotten off the bus.
By this point it was 730 and I was ready to go home.  And I even got off the bus before the tour ended.  Thanks, Turibus, for showing me all the places I should just go directly towards, next time.
Tim made dumplings and miso soup for dinner, and Nestor topped it off with homemade kettle corn using one of these.  I gotta get one.
Thursday was my last day in DF - Tim went back to work, and I went to work too.  The perks of having an international job - you can pop into local offices wherever you are.  I just started working with our team in Mexico, and I figured I'd start the year off right with a face to face meeting.  It just makes work so much easier.  Insert photo of office building in Azcapotzalco here.

They called me a cab around noon so I could get to the airport on time.  I had no idea how much time it'd take in traffic, then factor in standing in line to check a bag, except, oh wait, I just hit elite status on American.  No line to check in , priority security, and a first class upgrade.  Thanks, AA.  I got there way too early.
Hasta luego, Mexico City.  Let's make that hasta pronto.

No comments:

Archives - July 2021

July - Stuff I did. Puzzles. With cats.  Beirut Cafe - I always order waaay too much food.  Sour cream pancakes - once you make these, you&#...